PME MTL est en lien avec des entreprises de Montréal à la recherche de nouveaux talents dans différents secteurs d’activités. Pour plus d’opportunités d’emploi et un accompagnement personnalisé, inscrivez-vous gratuitement au service de placement de PME MTL http://www.pmemtl.com/emploi
Position : Software Developer
Company : Grey-box.ca
Location : Montreal / remote
Salary : 21 to 24 $ / h
Status : Internship
Schedule : 32h/week, flexible hours
Expected entry date : Late September/ early October 2021
Grey-box is a social innovation startup. Its main product, Uni, provides wireless access to digital resources (such as Wikipedia, Khan academy, several MOOC-type online courses, medical databases) in areas where access to the internet or to electricity is unreliable.
While 50% of the world's population is not connected – and the COVID-19 situation is exacerbating these inequalities – our team is working on an accessible product (portable, energy efficient, climate resistant and, above all, less than 100 $ the unit) which allows anyone to connect to these essential resources for their development and autonomy.
Grey-box is a nonprofit structured under the principle of mobile-first and remote-first. Diversity is not only encouraged, it is an integral part of the strength of the team and its projects. As a growing startup, individuals are able to have a significant impact on the project, the team and our clients.
Our team is looking for an intern to develop an application that can deploy a mobile server in an Android environment and allow users to connect to it through a local wifi hotspot. This position requires sufficient knowledge, experience and a passion for Android platform development, as well as a desire to overcome technical challenges.
The internship involves certain tasks such as:
- Maintaining a captive portal in order to redirect users to the home page
- Develop a list of devices compatible with the application (CPU, wifi driver)
- Check if the device is unlocked (rooted) and check the status of wifi and server.
- Set up tools to monitor usage (analytics of pages visited, number of concurrent users) and performance (power consumption)
- Integrate a server into the application as well as tools for updating a database
Skills, qualifications and experience
To be successful in this role we expect candidates to have
- Familiarity with the integration and continuous deployment processes
- Understanding of the value of documenting your work (for the next user)
Bonus points if
- You have experience working with Java and Linux (networking)
- You have a working knowledge with jQuery and AngularJs
- You are familiar with sending requests using AJAX
- Ability to communicate clearly orally and in writing (with clients and colleagues)
- Proactive and honest (#nobullshit)
- Fond of self-learning, i.e. you are not afraid to use Stack Overflow
Additional eligibility requirements
- You must be either a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident or a protected person defined by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. This is a requirement from our funding program. International students are not eligible.
- You must be between the ages of 19 and 30 years at the start of the internship
- You must be post-secondary graduate (not a requirement for Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut residents)
- You must not be a previous DS4Y participant.
What we offer
We offer a flexible work schedule. The team uses G Suite to synchronize our schedules, our documentation and our virtual meetings. Do you have a virtual headset? We can even do that in 3D! This mindset leads to a truly enjoyable lifestyle where it is easy to balance work and personal activities or family imperatives. So it takes a lot of autonomy and discipline to work with us, in addition to the desire to excel in everything we do.
Thanks to a Federal Employability Program (DS4Y), Grey-box will offer 4,000$ worth of training and coaching related to this position.
This internship is funded by the Government of Canada under its Digital Skills for Youth (DS4Y) program. DS4Y, an initiative from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED), provides an opportunity for youth to gain valuable training and work experience needed for today’s digital economy. For more information about the DS4Y program in New Brunswick, please visit cybernb.ca. (This program is open to everyone in Canada)
Apply by sending your CV on Indeed:
Apply by sending your CV on our indeed page or to email@example.com
More info and readings
Job Types: Full-time, Internship
Salary: $21-24.00 per hour
Work from home
Monday to Friday
Canadian work permit (required)
Remote interview process