Job Title : Pedagogical Counsellor – Instructional Designer (Second Posting)
Immediate Supervisor's Name : Antonietta Cocciolo
Position Status : Full-time Specific Project
Length of the contract : Until December 21, 2021
Work Location : Vanier College
Work Schedule : Mon – Fri, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (35 hours/week)
Salary Scale : $46,114 – $82,585
Expected Start Date : 2021-06-07
In accordance with our Employment Equity Program, the Quebec government’s Equity laws and our institution's commitment to ensuring representation in its community, Vanier College welcomes applications from members of visible minorities, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. The institution maintains its commitment to excellence and recognizes that increasing the diversity of its staff supports this objective.
Reporting to the Coordinator of Pedagogical Support and Innovation (PSI), the Instructional Designer will play a key role in the design and implementation of effective and engaging online learning activities that ultimately contribute to student success; researching and proposing solutions for the redesign of modules or courses, and the creation of training materials for the College. They will also provide support and guidance to those who would like to integrate instructional design practices into their online and/or blended teaching approaches and provide pedagogical and instructional support services to the Academic and Continuing Education sectors, to faculty, professionals, and staff.
More specifically, but not limited to, the Pedagogical Counsellor – Instructional Designer:
• Supports the development of instructional material needed for the activities of the PSI Office (online workshops, guides, etc), the Learning Commons (such as a module on Academic Integrity, capsules on how to learn online, pre-college MOOCs or SPOCs, etc.), and Academic Systems (guide to registration, etc.);
• Works with content experts to support institutional needs, initiatives and training, such as those related to the acquisition and implementation of new software and tools, training related to policies or the design of quality tools for non-credit courses;
• Offers advice, training, and support to faculty, departments, and other professionals in the design and implementation of high quality support materials, such as guides, videos, demos, and etc;
• Collaborates with faculty, professionals, administrators, and staff on projects to research, design, implement, assess, and disseminate design approaches and techno pedagogical tools to improve student-learning outcomes;
• Monitors the professional development needs of teachers with regards to the instructional design;
• Organizes professional development activities in response to the needs identified;
• Acts as a Vanier representative to various external bodies related to instructional design;
• Liaises with the Information Technology Support Services regarding software needs.
In addition, as part of the PSI office, the Instructional Designer also:
• Contributes to PSI team-wide mandates and special projects;
• Stays informed about research, current events, and developments in techno pedagogy, pedagogy and other relevant fields through professional development, communities of practice, and other sources;
• Communicates relevant information and activities to the Vanier community via appropriate means.
Other related tasks which fall within the scope of the classification of this position may be assigned.
Schedule: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (35 hours/week)
Contract: A.S.A.P. to December 21, 2021
Classification: Conseiller ou conseillère en pédagogique (Pedagogical Counsellor)
Salary : $46,114 – $82,585
• Undergraduate degree in Education or other appropriate field of specialization, with a concentration in instructional design.
Conditions related to the specific position:
• Classroom experience, ideally at the college level, along with an understanding of instructional strategies, classroom management and assessment, an asset;
• Experience in the design and development of educational programs at a post-secondary level, an asset;
• A strong knowledge base of current practices in educational technology, faculty development, and student learning;
• Knowledge of current issues and trends in pedagogy, techno pedagogy, and higher education;
• Strong understanding of competency-based education and the program approach;
• Knowledge of the CEGEP system and programs;
• Expertise with various teaching and learning technologies, including Moodle, Office 365, Teams, Zoom, and other technologies that mediate online learning and remote instruction and assessment;
• Knowledge of authoring tools, such as Adobe Captivate or Articulate Storyline, Learning Management Systems and Media tools;
• Excellent ability to plan, coordinate, and implement multiple projects simultaneously and work to meet competing deadlines and changing priorities;
• Experience in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of workshops;
• Excellent capacity to analyze and synthesize;
• Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office 365, Excel and Word (to be tested);
• Excellent English written and oral communication competencies (to be tested);
• Strong French written and oral communication competencies (to be tested);
• Superior ability to collaborate effectively and to foster a collaborative environment within the office as well as with external partners;
• Must have superior trouble-shooting and problem-solving skills;
• Must exhibit tact, sound judgment and diplomacy, excellent project management skills and the ability to relate effectively to members of the faculty, staff, academic administrators and students.
Note that a cover letter is mandatory, please be sure to attach yours.
We thank all those who apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.